Original Medicare includes Medicare Parts A and B and do cover health care costs, but the fact is that they do not pay for all the health care costs. This is where there is a need for support or supplement and Medicare Supplement Plans insurance come to great help. The Medicare Supplement Plans are from private insurers and they complement the coverage. In this way, these supplement plans help in covering out-of your pocket expenses that the Medicare fails to pay.
Standardized Medicare supplement plans of insurance benefits are formed and regulated by the federal government. Thus, it means the structure of each plan is identical and regardless of the insurance company you are buying from.
Plan features are:
- Plans choice to meet your budget and needs now and also in the future.
- Coverage is available even as you travel in the U.S. away from your home.
- You can choose your doctor and there are no restrictions, provided the doctors accept Medicare patients.
- Coverage of life is guaranteed. Though the rates may change. However, there will be no discrimination. The changes will be applicable to all the members in that class under the plan, residing in the state.
- You have the liberty to visit specialists of your choice without a referral and are ready to accept Medicare patients.
Medicare supplement plan benefits
Based on the Medicare Supplement Plans you choose, the plan may offer benefits.
- Part A coinsurance and most plans offer Part A deductible benefit.
- Some costs are beyond the pocket that Part B does not pay
- Blood transfusions cost up to 3 pints
- Skilled nursing facility copayment or coinsurance
- Hospital days extra cost up to 365 days after using your benefits of Part A
- Copayment or coinsurance of Part A respite/hospice care
Medicare Supplement Plans or Medigap is a health extra insurance that allows you paying health care costs from a private company that is not covered by Original Medicare, such as co-payments, deductibles and health care, even if you have plans of travelling in the U.S. of course, outside the U.S. these policies do not offer long term cover or care, besides it also does not give cover for vision, dental care, eyeglasses, hearing aids and private duty nursing. They also have no coverage for prescription drugs and you can pay monthly premium for the Medigap Plans.